Thursday, November 25, 2010

I Volunteer


That's Sal.. one of my closest friends. We go for breakfast like maybe, every fortnight? Sometimes can only manage once in 3 weeks. She's a busy Madam :p

...And a very dedicated volunteer. We met this morning to discuss on a convention that will be organized by the association that we're both active in. I've been a member for almost 10 years now and Sal is one of the top Exco members. We're making notes on what needs to be done first before calling for a meeting to form a committee for the convention. 

work first, then laksa :D

I was invited to be one of the members for the new WI Cawangan Matahari by Puan Sri Dato Hajah Jamilah Anu but I had to decline as I am already a member of another WI branch and you cannot be registered at 2 branches at one time. WI will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2 years time and I told Sal they should start organizing programs already. 

I was employed by SFWI few years back before joining KFC (Sarawak) Sdn Bhd in 2008. That's where I met dear Salbiah. Her mom, the late Puan Katleen Impi was also a very active member of the association. You remember Stanley AF (of Sarawak)? He is Sal's brother. I've known Stanley even before his AF era, he was always accompanying his late mother to the SFWI HQ. They were very close indeed. 

Ehemm.. ya. I do a bit of volunteer work you know. With my crazy schedule, I'm not doing as much as I think I should. Sal and the rest of the Datuks Datos Datins Puan Sris YBhgs (all women) are hunting for new younger and capable members to lead the association in the future. SFWI's main objective is to improve and upgrade the living standards of women in rural areas. Also to provide opportunities for members to carry out activities related to education, social & health. Not forgetting to foster better understanding among women and help them to play their role in national development. 

Whenever Sal needs extra hands or extra ideas (which I don't really have much), I will try to do whatever I can to assist her. She would definitely do the same for me. If you're not up to working-for-free, don't bother registering as a member. NGOs don't make money and most who volunteer are very enthusiastic people. 

They say- No Money, No Talk. 
These women's motto- No Money, We Talk More To Get Money :)

*speaking of talk, I've been told (by quite a few people) that I talk too fast. hmmm... my new year's resolution, talk slower*

Puan Sri in pink tudong (Cawangan Matahari meeting)

Taukeh Neoh Sal (left) and Kapitan Daisy ;)


Sarawak Federation of Women's Institutes (SFWI) devotees, Christina Mamora (standing), Datin Hajah Rugayah Majid (far left), Hajah Norjanah Hasbi *mummy ;)*, YB Hajah Nancy Shukri & newly appointed branch leader Puan Sri Dato Hajah Jamilah Anu

She's one cool Puan Sri :)


You all from Semenanjung (or any part of the World other than Sarawak), the best laksa Sarawak is the laksa served in Sarawak itself!!

 "Uh-oh.. slurpp.. slurrrppp... Ya Sal. Oh! Okayy.. Hmm.. slurpppp, slurppp. I think so. Uh-oh, slurrppp, Huh? slurppp... Okay Sal."

I was supposed to blog about a woman who left home with her very young kids, not much support by hubby, can you blame the hubby, she should think of the kids instead of being selfish, if YOU leave, hubby is scott free, how to feed kids now, well ya not fair, but that's life. More later..

*Funny story; the last time Sal & I had laksa together, we both forgot to bring our purses! luckily we're in Kuching (everyone knows everyone) and the waiters know us. Sal had to go back to the kopitiam a few hours later to pay for our laksa. Never in our lives had to hutang for 2 bowls of laksa!!* :))

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How you find time for extra work?

f.i.e.z.a said...

pn sri jamilah anu ya my goodfriend's mother, aziza.mek ngan anaknya sama sekolah, sama kelas masa d sm sains dlok.mmg cool, very humble one :)

Tiq said...

I'd love to do voluntary work like u one day kak. I just don't have the time yet ( i know it sounds lame ). I'm so impressed with you Kak, a mother and busy with these & that, u still manage to find time to juggle everything.

And speaking of laksa, ohhh rinduk nya kamek ngan Kuching!!!!!!!!!

mummysyafie said...

craving for laksa sarawak sis..nok disitok sik berapa nyaman.

Ms Tikot said...

Duh... sedapnya laksa...

Ida Athanazir said...

Fieza, pemimpin yg benar benar berjiwa rakyat nang mcm ya :)

Tiq, tq. We do have the time, just try to fit some in. If you ada geng, sure more motivated.

mummysyafie, boleh bring paste from sarawak. Can do a home cook laksa. It's all in the paste.

ms tikot, undeniable ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...