Monday, April 6, 2009

How I Maintain My Weight

... & stay slim after birth. (@48-50 kg, standing 158 cm).

There is no short cut to losing weight. You have to do it slowly, patiently, gracefully & realistically. The most important thing is self discipline. Discipline comes through self-control. Before you can control conditions, you must first control yourself. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat, specially food that you love. You can still enjoy your food, stay fit and maintain a great figure at the same time.

These tips don't just apply for mothers, you who are still single & men, can also benefit from some of the tips;

1. Breast feed your baby; honestly, that's the best way to do it. Basically, I breast fed non-stop ever since I gave birth to my first child (Ayu) in 1992. I 'quit' breastfeeding in 2007, when Arman was about to turn 4. He's a boy, I didn't want him to still sleep with my breast in his mouth at the age where he begins to understand more about things. The only time I did not breast feed was during the time I was pregnant. Working?? I was working, I pumped my milk out and kept it in the fridge. Troublesome? Messy? No time? ... 'Endak seribu daya, tak endak seribu dalih'. While feeding my babies with the best food that nature offers, I also managed to lose the unwanted weight. And I do believe that breast feeding your baby keeps you looking youthful as it promotes good blood circulations. I truly believe that & I have been doing it for 15 years, that's almost half of my life.

2. Eat in moderation; To me, you don't have to cut rice altogether. What you're having now, try to consume half of your usual servings. Then, slowly, cut down more of the serving. Have more fish & veges (... you've heard that before). Your body will get use to the 'habit' of having lesser rice, be patient and hang it there. I know you will feel hungry & some would experience 'shivering'. But, you will be fine, you wouldn't starve to death!

3. Avoid whites; I was told by a nutritionist that flour causes the 'spare tyre'. Noodle, bread, roti canai (I know.... I love roti canai too), cakes, donuts (that too!!) ........ anything originates from flour. You can eat these food, but, again, do it in moderation. Don't have a whole plate of 'char kuew tiaw', just eat half of it. And consume only few times a week (I suggest once or twice a week, the most). 2 roti canais on Sunday mornings, I think that's okay, provided you have been 'good' the whole week. I would indulge in the ever so divine 'nasi minyak' at weddings. That's about once or twice in a month, so, you still can eat your favorite food but in moderation.

4. Drink less sugar; Okay, the scenario is you're off to work, have a cup of coffee/milo/tea at the pantry. Then it's time to go out for lunch, order a non-sugar iced lemon tea or any drink that you can cut sugar. My twin sis had a Cesarean section with her first child. When I looked at her tummy, I thought there was no way she's gonna get back to her flat tummy after that. She disciplined herself, cut half of her sugary intake in a day and she managed to get back into her pre-baby body! And need I remind you to have more plain (warm) water.

5. Cut on snacks; ha... haa...... the habit of snacking, are you munching and eating your snacks right now as you're reading this??? Do you know how much have you consumed? Can, can eat love ... but be aware of it. People ask me all the time,"Kak Ida, how do you maintain this figure?" Quickly I answered,"I don't snack." Bulak gilak!! Langsung sik kah?? I do... but very rare. If my husband buys goreng pisang or apam balik, I would only have half the goreng pisang. And this is not everyday. Do I eat? Yes. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. Usually, I don't eat anything between lunch & dinner. Really, I don't. That's why we have early dinner (it's healthier too that way), around 6:30 pm. I know, the cravings (for snacks) usually is around 4 or 5 pm, try to have fruits. Torture?? No, you will get use to it. When you don't consume as much anymore, you gradually avoid it. Imagine the oil they use to fry the fritters/donuts..! Junk food is worse my dear, again, can eat.... in moderation. Don't eat a whole bag of chips all by yourself, in front of the tv some more!!

6. When dalam pantang, pantanglah sepantang pantangnya.. Wear your bengkung (like you're instructed by your mak bidan) religiously. Only have it off when you're taking your bath. It is not comfortable, I've to tell you that. But, try to bear with it for 39 days, at least. Nak cantik?? Tahan lah! Ikat perut, I mean literally.

7. Exercise regularly; walk, run, dance, aerobics, cycle, futsal, swimming.... anything that makes you sweat.

8. Be Discipline

I want to look this good in jeans! Motivate yourselves!

There you have it, some of the tips that I can come up with for now. If you have more tips and you'd like to share, please, comment. And another thing, losing weight to me does not mean wanting to be skinny. For men & women, bone skinny is never attractive. Remember, your goal is to live a healthy life. Overweight means high blood pressure, kidney failures, heart failures, diabetes etcs. Till next post, have a great day!!

17 comments:

Mia's Mom said...

Ida,

Thanks for the tips. You see, my problem is, my tummy. I guessed my sin is snacking. And you are right, Dear. I am munching chicken+corn fingers while reading your entry. Well, I will try those tips. Though maybe I'll be having problem with snacking & Boy,.. do I love sweet tea. But I will try. Thanks again.

Ida Athanazir said...

snacking, a bad habit to break. But try, try, try .... look at that foto for motivation. U're most welcome!

f.i.e.z.a said...

thanx a lot for the infos sis..endak 1000 daya nak oo..
u have a nice day too :)

~me memory land~ said...

aduh kak..mun single camney owh..?? mok gak breast feed..hahhah. Neway..helpful info for dudi ari..;)

Ida Athanazir said...

fieza, sama sama. Gine your goal tek? dah tercapai?

mm.land, hee hee.... kelak dah beranak tauk lah gine cara nak lose weight. single ne ada air susu LOL

eMBuN_mALaM said...

Thanks kak... Luckily sum of ur petua i amalkan already since diz few months... and yes i do lose weight... heheheeee... kak, ur N3 inspired me a lot... i do want to look great on those jeans... hmmm...

JM said...

OMG... im not a discipline person..muahaha

AmirFX said...

Sian nangga kmk ehh... Lack op disiplin... Nway, kmk akan usahakan juak lah smp body kmk kedak Brad Pitt....

TashadeNatasha said...

very useful tips.

but is this can be used untuk org biasa? bukan org yg baru lepas bersalin?

izd said...

wow...bunyi cam complicated tp lum cuba lum tahu kan..hehehe.Hmm...honestly Ida memang look younger.

AMK said...

;)

Ida Athanazir said...

Amir, sik perlu kedak Brad Pitt.... asal sihat tubuh badan cukuplah

T.Natasha, yes , org biasa patut amalkan juga. Laki perempuan semua boleh

izd, not complicated lah. Easy steps but mesti maok kuat iman! & thanx.

AMK, ;D

Salbiah Abdullah said...

:) have a nice day

Willie said...

Good tips

Mdm.Nyza said...

yea true! breastfeed boleh membakar kalori.. mek jeles tengok ktk breastfeed anak2 ktk dgn jayanya. kmk hanya berjaya 3 bulan setengah jak. coz kmk keja shift, then baby pun cam gelik jak.. hehehe... frust kmk bila anak mek nolak... huhu...

time pantang nang perlu berdisplin. thanks to my mom coz nang jaga benanya ngan kmk... and i can see the hasil now.. dpt slim spt dulu... hehehe... hope kmk d murahkan rezeki, dpt anak byk, still maintain mcm ktk ! ngeee..

Ida Athanazir said...

mudahan kita semua dimurahkan rezeki senantiasa... amin

nurain said...

wah..sis..really thanks for those tips..

mau kurusss!!!!

u are gojes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...