Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Safety First


Was driving my kids to school when I saw a father riding a motorbike to school with his two sons. One sitting at the front and the other behind him. The one at the front had his helmet on but the one at the back didn't. I think the little boy is only about 8 or 9 years of age. Looking at him clinging to his dad for his dear life without a helmet on made me feel pity for the family. It's so dangerous, anything could happen. The best the father can do is ride his bike extra careful and hope for safe journeys each day to school. I maybe careful not to hit him, but what about others? Can't blame the man, he too wants to get his kids to school in time. He might have to do double trips just so each of his sons will have a helmet on, but that will cost him extra fuel.

Helmets don't cost that much, maybe around RM30, RM50 to RM100 each but for people who earn just enough, even RM30 is a whole lot of money. Yes, safety is always first but what can they do if the money is always not enough. I hope my children will do very well in their studies, so they will live a better life for themselves & their children.

5 comments:

The Fleece Master said...

I can be more agree with you. Being a kid who used to be a loyal rider of my late bapak's honda fame bike from tadika til lower secondary school. Life felt so thrifty, but it was a sweet thought by embracing tightly my bapak's waist all the way from home to school (and back and forth)

Ida Athanazir said...

Definitely a memory to cherish.

Ethel said...

I see lots of that over here, especially the kampung area. Sometimes, I get to see the whole family (of mom, husband, son and daughter) riding the same bike without helmets!

It's a said thing to see, sometimes.. they probably couldn't afford a car.. but yeah, safety comes first!

Kadus_Mama said...

Sad to say..it happen here too..I saw many Aunties and Uncles ride bike with their kids/grandchildren without helmet. Worse, some let their small tots standing at the front..!! :(

Alternate 4 CraigsList said...

Just surfing around and found your blog.
If you have a moment, please visit my blog.
It's a blog for bloggers that helps search engines find you....

BLOGS FOLLOW ME
http://www.blogsfollowme.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...