Sunday, December 21, 2008

Clothes for Keeps

Ayu (now 16 yrs old) wore the blue 'Tweety' t-shirt in 1992.

Seri (right, now 14 yrs old) wore the blue 'Tweety' t-shirt in 1995

Hani (left, now 10 yrs old) wore the blue 'Tweety' t-shirt in 2004 .... then it was passed down to Arman (right, now 4 yrs old). I still have the t-shirt.


*****************************************************

It's been raining non stop for days, my clothes won't dry, they do but still damp. Ha, there it goes again, the rain I mean. Syukur Alhamdulillah for the rain .... But my washing machine just broke down and the dryer isn't working. What a drag! I mean there are six of us in the house, I try not to wear so much.... wear the pyjama for 2 or 3 nights so the laundry won't pile up too fast. What else am I suppose to do? You can't not wash the clothes. But even the ones washed yesterday not dried yet... 

Talking bout clothes, I 'let go' some old clothes few weeks ago to the needy. It was so hard for me. The clothes were my kids'. Some were Ayu's little dresses and the girls' baju kurungs. I ran out of space to keep old clothes so I had no choice but to give them away. Been keeping them for years, keep asking myself why am I keeping all these clothes that the kids aren't wearing anymore? I just couldn't let go, so sentimental to me. What I truly can't let go are the baby clothes. I am like that, I have a few baju kurungs that I wore when I was 14 and now passed them down to my girls. And I got my girls wearing my 20 year old Levi's. Though they would only wear one or two. The others they say 'the pinggang is too tinggi'. Nowadays they prefer the 'mid rise' not the 'high rise' that we wore in the 90s. My mother in law passed me some of my hubby's clothes that he wore when he was in primary school, jeans, t-shirts ... my kids wear them now. This is one our cost saving ways, though each of them do get new clothes from time to time. I can keep clothes very very well and I can remember where I bought each of them. Well, most of them, maybe not all. I think most moms are like that. To me, the kids' old clothes are a part of them, full of memories.

4 comments:

Prince NaKi said...

i like your blogs friend

Ida Athanazir said...

thanx. keep up with yours

ada van de kamp said...

our family have this tradition of passing down clothes as well. hehehe. but no more now as my youngest sis is already 17. but we still keep the clothes. full of memories ay? :)

Ida Athanazir said...

Ada VDK.. yes, i cannot throw away memories, who can??

thanx for stopping by :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...